Saturday, January 25, 2014

Homemade Hot Chocolate



Winter is typically one of my favorite times of the year. I love the snow, snow shoeing, long days and lots of time to relax and read by the fire. But this year the bone chilling cold is getting me down.




To combat the winter blues I have been drinking copious amounts of hot chocolate and this morning is no different. After all what could be better after shoveling than a piping hot cup of chocolaty goodness?




Homemade Hot Chocolate
Serves 4

3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 oz. 60% dark chocolate
3 oz. 70% dark chocolate
2 oz. milk chocolate
3 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt

In a small saucepan bring milk and cream to a low simmer, over a medium to high heat. Do not scald the milk. Chop chocolate into small pieces. Once milk is warm add the sugar and salt and whisk to combine. Add the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Mix until combined and then serve. You can add whipped cream, marshmallows or whatever else you like as a garnish or serve it plain.




This is my standard recipe, the only variation is the percentage of chocolate depending on what is in my cabinet. Sometimes I have more dark that milk, other times I use all dark and just add a touch more sugar. 

Do you have a favorite hot chocolate recipe? I would love for you to share a like if you do or just write it in the comment section. 

I hope that you stay warm and have a fabulous weekend!

2 comments:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I don't have the heavy cream in the house, but I do have Half and Half. I am going to go to the kitchen now and make your recipe, with one substitution. You talked me into it.

greenthumb said...

Sound so good.