Sunday, November 11, 2012

Moist Chocolate Cake and Fudge Buttercream Frosting






Today is my birthday and I thought I would try something totally new for my cake. This is an unbelievable chocolate cake and chocolate fudge frosting from Jennifer Hill at the Foodness Blog.







Moist Chocolate Cake
Ingredients
1¾ cups all purpose flour
2 cups granulated white sugar
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1½ tsp baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk (or substitute by putting 1 tbsp white vinegar in a cup then filling the rest up with milk; let stand 5 minutes until thickened)
½ cup butter, melted
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee (or 2 tsp instant coffee in 1 cup boiling water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch pans, line bottom with parchment paper circles and set aside. I USED  THREE 6 INCH PANS. THIS WILL MAKE TWO SMALL 3 LAYER CAKES. 
In a bowl of stand mixer, stir together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla beaut until smooth, about 2 to three minutes. 
Remove bowl from mixer and stir in hot coffee with rubber spatula, the batter will be very runny.
Pour into pans and bake on middle rack for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean with a few crumbs attaches. 
Allow to cool on wire rack for 15 minutes, run butter knife around the pan. Invert pans onto rack. Cool completely before frosting. 



Chocolate Fudge Frosting

 1 stick of softened butter
 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
 1 tsp. vanilla 
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 cup of milk
1/8 cup of whipping cream

Mix all dry ingredients together, then add butter and slowly add cream and milk to achieve desired consistency. Mix for 3 minutes with electric mixer to get the frosting creamy and fluffy. 






This cake is FABULOUS! It is moist, a cross between fudge and brownies and the best cake I have ever made. I love it! The frosting is creamy, chocolaty  and a great addition to the cake!

I wish you were here to share it with me!

5 comments:

Judy said...

Today 11/11 is my birthday also! I'd love some of that glorious cake! Happy Birthday!

Kathy said...

My goodness, this looks marvelously chocolaty! Moist chocolate cake can be difficult - I believe you've hit upon a wonderful recipe - I hope you had a very blessed birthday! I do appreciate you sharing with A Return to Loveliness,
Kathy

My Dream Canvas said...

This looks delicious. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones! I would love for you to visit me and see the centerpiece at my Thanksgiving table I am visiting you from Savvy Southern Style!

SewSweetVIntage said...

ME TOO-Chocolate love:) I pinned this. It looks so good!!!!! I'm gluten free, and alway's looking for he moist cake recipe's to try with gf flours. Gotta try this!!! I posted "dolled up" to wow us wed. Following you now. Follow my blog too at www.sewsweetvintage.com

Rachel said...

Oh gosh this cake looks so good! Would it completely ruin it if I have no coffee on hand??