Monday, July 1, 2013

Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Espresso Frosting



Although I love baking from scratch, sometimes I use a cake mix, simply because I am in a hurry or lazy. But I try to make it taste more like homemade by adding a few things. 



The one thing that I do not use from a tub or a box is frosting, I always make my own frosting because it taste so much better and is so easy, and comes together with just a few ingredients.


Chocolate "Doctored" Cake Mix:

1 package cake mix
1 small package of chocolate pudding (not instant)
1 Tablespoon Nielsen-Massey vanilla
4 eggs
11/4 cups of warm coffee
1/2 cup of oil

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds and then on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Scoop into cupcake tins lined with baking liners or prepared greased pans. Remember to fill the tins 2/3 full or the cupcakes will overflow.

Bake according to the box directions. Remove from heat and let cool.



Espresso Frosting:

1 stick of butter
1/3 cup of strong coffee warm
2/3 cup of cocoa powder
3 cups of confectioners sugar

Melt butter in bowl, whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Alternate the confectioners sugar and the coffee until  the frosting is mixed smooth.



This frosting could not be an easier and it is so delicious. It has a rich fudge like taste, is creamy, has a hint of coffee and is the perfect accompaniment to these cupcakes. Honestly, I could eat a bowl of this frosting and sometimes I have to make a batch and a half because I eat too much. 

I hope that you try these rich, scrumptious fudgy cupcakes perhaps even make them for the upcoming holiday.

If you would like a few suggestions for some beach reading please visit Pine Cones and Acorns.

Enjoy!

Note: I am not paid to promote Nielsen Massey Vanilla, I have used it for a long time and love the flavor. 

1 comment:

Rian said...

I love to bake but don't do cupcakes much. However, these look delicious and anything that has chocolate and coffee (or espresso powder) has got to be good. I copied this recipe to try. Thanks for sharing.