Thursday, January 24, 2013

Chocolate Pancakes




Good morning! I thought I would start the day out with chocolate for breakfast, not a huge departure from a normal day where I start out with a huge cup of steaming French drinking chocolate. But today I was craving pancakes so I tried out a recipe that I found in Southern Living at Christmas. The pancakes were everything I thought they would be and more!  Delicious, fluffy and chocolaty. 





Chocolate Pancakes

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 (4-oz.) dark chocolate baking  bar, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whisk together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together milk and next 4 ingredients in another bowl. Gradually stir milk mixture into flour mixture just until moistened. Pour about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto a hot buttered griddle or large nonstick skillet. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry and cooked. Turn and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until done. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet, and keep warm in a 200° oven up to 30 minutes.








I personally like this recipe with just powdered sugar sprinkled on top, it is just sweet enough and still not over the top. The actual recipe from Southern Living is for German chocolate pancakes with German chocolate syrup. When I made these I used a little OK, maybe a lot of homemade chocolate topping; they were delicious but probably more of a dessert than a warm hearty breakfast. 


Linking to:

I Should be Mopping The Floor

1 comment:

nycstylelittlecannoli said...

That looks amazing but I think I would do it without the sauce. Anything chocolate is a friend of mine. Lovely blog!!