Monday, October 15, 2012

Mexican Hot Chocolate




Good morning! I hope your weekend was wonderful. Did you enjoy the beautiful Fall weather? Perhaps take a few walks, see the changing leaves? Or is it already pretty chilly in your area?

My mom actually took advantage this weekend of the weather to finish her winter garden preparations and to dress her window boxes for Christmas.

If you read this blog or my other blog, Pine Cones and Acorns than you know I LOVE hot chocolate. This weekend I thought I would change things up and have some Mexican Hot Chocolate.

Are you familiar with it? This chocolate is infused with one of the main spices of the season, cinnamon. I think it  taste delicious and this recipe serves four so you can share with some friends.


Mexican Hot Chocolate

3 cups of whole milk
1 cup of heavy cream
1/4 vanilla bean split or 1/4 tsp vanilla or vanilla bean paste
2 cinnamon sticks
3 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chopped

Heat milk, cinnamon and vanilla bean(if using extract or paste wait until you mix in the chocolate) over low heat until the mixture is hot, do not boil. You will see little bubbles around the edges of the pan. Remove from heat and let the mixture steep, like a tea for at least 5 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick and vanilla bean pod. If you are using vanilla bean paste or extract add it now, along with the chopped chocolate. Return to a low heat and whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is slightly frothy. Pour into cups, serve and enjoy.

I hope you like it! Enjoy and have a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum.

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Afternoon Elizabeth, Oh dear you caught my attention with Hot Chocolate. The idea of using cinnamon sticks is new to me and something I have never used before. I will definitely be trying this. Best Wishes Daphne