Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies



How do you like the look of these cookies? Let me be the first to tell you that they are FABULOUS! I think they may be the best chocolate chips cookies I have ever made!


I have been on a search for a chocolate chip cookie that looked and tasted like the ones my mom made while I was growing up. Even though I have her recipe which is the standard from Nestle Toll-House I can never get them to stay fat and crunchy, they turn flat and chewy with little mountains of chips. Which I do not like.



Over the past year I have tried "the best" recipes from Internet searches, magazines, The New York Times, cookbooks, etc and I have never found a recipe that could duplicate the memories of my childhood...until now.


This recipe was not invented by me(sadly) but comes from one of my favorite blogs, London Bakes. Kathryn has a fabulous food blog and if you do not know of it, leave here immediately after reading this post to go check her out. You will love it!



Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe adapted from London Bakes

Ingredient List:

1 stick of unsalted butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 Tablespoon of Vanilla Bean Paste or vanilla Extract
11/2 cups of flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp instant coffee
11/4 cups of chocolate chips
optional: sea salt flakes to sprinkle on top 




Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350, prepare your cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silicon mats.
  2. Put the butter in a small saucepan over a low heat and cook until it starts to bubble and has turned a lovely golden brown color. Take off the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and coffee.
  4. When the butter has cooled, cream it together with the sugars until combined. Add the egg and vanilla and beat again. 
  5. Fold in the dry ingredients, followed by the chocolate chips.
  6. Chill the mixture in the fridge for any time between 30 minutes and 24 hours. I chilled 1 hour for the first batch and 24 for the second. 
  7. Using an ice cream scoop or a cookie scoop, place spoonfuls of the dough on the baking sheet and, if desired, scatter a little sea salt on top.(I did not)
  8. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes until the edges of the cookies just start to turn golden brown and are firm to the touch.
  9. Allow to cool on the baking tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. This is important because they continue to cook and get firm, also, they won't fall apart when you try to remove them
  10. Pour a glass of milk or brew a cup of tea and enjoy! Oh, and share with a friend!




Did I mention how much I love these cookies? Seriously, they are fabulous! I did make a few changes, Kathryn used whole wheat flour, I was out, and she used less chocolate chips, 2/3 of a cup, and also she sprinkled with the sea salt which I forgot. 



I am making these again this weekend to go with the Pumpkin Blue Cheese Brie Baked Macaroni I made on my other blog Pine Cones and Acorns Blog.

I hope you have a fabulous day! And do check out London Bakes, you will really enjoy the recipes and photos. 

Linking to:
Savvy Southern Style
Common Ground
At the Picket Fence
Six Sisters Stuff
Flour me with Love
The Polohouse

4 comments:

london bakes said...

I'm so glad you liked the cookies and I'm speechless at your very kind words. I can't tell you how much it means to me that you enjoyed them and I'm happy to be able to help you recreate the tastes of your childhood. I also very much approve of the increase you made in the amount of chocolate chips ;)

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Wow, that's so lovely that the author of London Bakes (did you say Katherine?) came and commented! That's so sweet!

This looks like a FABULOUS recipe and I shall be trying it out very soon!!

Ha! I've just noticed that your word verification says 'eat'!! A divine message perchance?!!

Sarahxxxx

Palomasea said...

Oooh! Printing! ;)
xoxo

must love junk said...

How could I not drool over these pictures? :)
I'm now following-I'd love you to visit!
Susan