Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chocolate Madeleines or Madeleines au Chocolat

The finished product!

I love all things French and these are at the top of my list! These Madeleine's are delicious and a little different because they are chocolate and not the traditional vanilla. I have tried many recipes but this was a new one for me and quite frankly easier and the end result was much more moist. I am sure that you have seen these traditional French treats on your journeys around Paris, I can tell you that I have eaten my weight in these little cakes, which is probably how I gain so much weight when I travel to Paris, between the hot chocolate, the cheese crepes, and all of the desserts I do not stand a chance.

This recipe was adapted from Epicurious.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa
pinch of salt
4 lg eggs
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp vanilla
12 tablespoons of melted butter, cooled
Butter for buttering the pans


Ingredients
1. Sift all dry ingredients, flour, salt and cocoa.

2. Mix eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until think and tripled in volume, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla extract.

3. Fold in the flour mixture, and then the melted butter. Do not over mix.

4. Chill dough overnight or for at least 3 hours in refrigerator.

5. Butter Madeleine pans and chill filled pans( they recommend 1 hour) I just chilled for 15 minutes.

6. Heat oven to 425 F.

7. Bake Madeleine's for about 7 minutes, do not over bake as they will become dry. Tip out of molds and let cool on a rack.

8. Best eaten slightly cooled or the same day.


Butter pans


Fill buttered pans and refrigerate

Drop a Tbsp into middle if mold it will spread out itself
Notes: My Madeleine's stuck a little in the pan, I had to remove them with a fork. Also, because my pans are dark I only baked them 6 minutes. These are incredibly moist and the are even great a few days later! This recipe make 36 so you will have many to share.

Light and fluffy


Share some today!

I am participating in Foodie Friday at Designs by gollum. Come on over and check it out!

2 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOWOWO! You are awesome! Thanks again for coming to visit my home. We believe in CHOCOLATE TOO!!! Anita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh sweet Elizabeth, you are so kind to come back to visit! THANK YOU for your prayers. I want so badly to share more of my home, but for now at least, I have to think things over. I just had some cocoa powder in my vanilla yogurt for breakfast...WOW! With dark cherries and almonds????? YUMMM!

Have a fantastic day! Anita